Friday, May 25, 2012

How God Is Great and Jealous

I'm not satisfied with what I've been writing this week for the blog.  It seems to lack my usual heartfeltness and direction.  To be perfectly honest, I may have been able to mix a CD for my friends Angel and Lisa, but I couldn't choose what I wanted to say about God this week - partially because I'm still hooked on the love song ideal and partially because I want to know what songs you guys like to hear about and/or sing to God.  I'm curious because I have a point of view, but I want to know about the songs and albums that rocked your world.  Thoughts?

Two songs for today-

How He Loves: http://youtu.be/h7SQBJTjwOw

Fun fact: The original band for this song was not the David Crowder Band.

How Great is Our God: http://youtu.be/CFP4C6aJ5WY

I know there are great biblical references in these songs to be decoded, but I'm not feeling it today.  I also didn't want to leave you hanging though, I wanted to give you something.

I chose these songs because of how they expand and react to God.  How He Loves starts as this startling intimacy and then becomes a cry out to God because of his love, because there is an undeniability - how are you supposed to hold it in when someone has lyrics like:

When all of a sudden
I am unaware of these afflictions eclipsed by glory

It's pretty good poetry, really it is.

And honestly, when you think of God's jealousy, you can see it in Hosea.  Hosea is almost like an Old Testament parable instead of just a book.  Hosea is representative of God's love and Gomer (along with the second wife) show the wandering of God's chosen Israel and how it grieves him.  That is his jealousy when they sacrifice animals or infants (seriously, it happened all the time - the Israelites had minds the span of a goldfish or something) to a god that did not get them to a promised land and did not help David to achieve great and beautiful things for the nation.

It's an honor to have God be jealous for me as a gentile, not gonna lie.  Betcha that Paul and that centurion whose slave was healed would say the same thing.

But why then would I follow with How Great is Our God?  It's a great anthem but its not as intimate, feeling more formal and choral, almost like a Phillips, Craig, and Dean hymn.  Well, there is a more personal reason to it.  I was raised Pentacostal and taught that the Trinity was a lie and false and to believe it was to die (essentially) and when I came to believe in the Trinity, it was the first song I sang- so there is special meaning behind it.

You're the name above all names
You're worthy of all praise
My heart will sing
How Great is Our God?!

I'll leave you with those thoughts for now. 

-John

No comments:

Post a Comment